SPECIAL SECTION CONSUMER GOODS SUSTAINABILITY INDEX
SUSTAINABILITY WEB SITE
Procter & Gamble
Reynolds American Inc.
* This company also appears on the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index.
(millions) GREEN ACHIEVEMENTS
• CO2 emissions from inbound logistics declined
9% between FY07 and FY09
• Achieved a 77% increase in the use of
environmentally preferred materials from FY07 to FY09
• Uses 10% recycled content in carbonated soft drink bottles
in the U.S.; Naked Juice commercialized the first 100%
recycled PET bottle in the grocery channel
• Saved more than 11 billion liters of water through eco-
efficiency improvements in 2009. In the U.S., new Gatorade
bottles are cleaned with purified air instead of water.
• Since July 2007, P&G achieved $13.1 billion in
cumulative sales of sustainable innovation products
toward its goal of $50 billion by 2012.
• Improved the environmental profile of its operations,
including a 30% reduction in waste disposal and a 13%
reduction in water usage
• Recycled 60% of solid waste in 2009, compared with
38% in 2007, primarily due to a major storage-shed
recycling project at R.J. Reynolds
• Water consumption was down 32.4% in 2009
• Declined water usage 21.5% between 2004 and 2008,
even after adding four manufacturing facilities as part
of the 2006 acquisition of Maytag
• 85% to 90% of materials (steel and other metals,
some plastics) used in Whirlpool Corporation-produced
products can be recycled
CONSUMERGOODS.COM | JULY/AUGUST 2010 | CGT 17